IKE sewing class?

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Mike

IKE sewing class?

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 19 2011, 09:30 AM

There was some talk of having a sewing get together.
Here's a couple of options:
1. A new kite for people who've sewn before.
2. How to sew a Rok for those new to sewing.

Ideas?

makatakam

Re: IKE sewing class?

Postby makatakam » Mon, Sep 19 2011, 03:11 PM

250' manta. I'll bring the thread, you bring the material.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 19 2011, 11:02 PM

I'm pretty new to sewing . . . so I'd be up for a Rok (or two - one for David). And/or I'd like to use the class as an excuse to finish the sled(s) I started but haven't finished. The thing is, I think I'm about four (or more) years behind most of you. So, while a rok might be boring for many of you, maybe a sewing session is an excuse to build something and imbibe your beverage of choice while talking kites. Or to finish something you've started but can't quite seem to get done.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 25 2011, 08:56 PM

I also just happened across this session while browsing tonight, in case anyone is interested . . . u-make 2012

It's January 13-15th in Des Moines. That might not work for me, but thought I'd share in case others might be interested.

Another thing . . . I was poking around and found this over on the NYKE web site here. I think it's a useful list of things to bring to a workshop:

==============================

Here is a list detailed list of the materials you will need for any workshop:
• Sewing Machine (and any tools that go along with it. Preferably cleaned, oiled and tensioned properly... and bring the MANUAL)
• Thread stand if your thread or machine requires it.
• 14 or 16 gauge Regular point needle and 2 spares.
• Spare empty bobbins (a couple)
• A extension cord and a power strip.
• Scissors
• A straight edge
• Measuring Tape (the sewing kind preferably)
• A pencil
• Duct Tape (for reasons of National Security)
• A plastic shopping bag
• Thread (Polyester or Nylon thread is fine. Molnlyke or Guttermans or Metrosene Polyester are good. 30 denier polyester (v30) or 33 denier nylon (hb33) are best, but not necessary and a bit pricey.

Do not get anything buy "Coats & Clark", anything that is cotton covered, or any "clear" or "smoke" monofilament threads.

That's it on the have to have list. Here are some other items that would be great to bring if you have them, but are not necessary to have:
• A Cutting Board (Glass surface.)
• Hot Knife / Hot Tacker
• Seam Ripper
• Olfa Pads (Cutting Pad)
• Rotary Cutters

They also mention money . . . in case pizzas are ordered. Probably a good idea to add to the list :-)

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Sep 25 2011, 09:22 PM

That list is a good one. Depending on what is sewn, we probably wouldn't actually need quite as much stuff.

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Thu, Oct 06 2011, 06:07 PM

I am open to just about anything for a group build. I have a number of plans that I would like to do myself that I think would be good for beginner to experienced.

Another note - we have talked in the past about doing a 'club' Mimi. Well I change my mind and think we should do a club MEGAMON!

We could all chip in for building and cost (im working on finding out what that is). I have suggested this on Barry O's forum and he mentioned he would be willing to cut out the triangles which would make it an easier project. plus it is all straight seams.

Full size is about an 8meter diameter. I am thinking of scalling it down a bit for myself.

for kites- ROKs, shard or pointer, ohashi, fled, roller, or even a power sled .... I know another member has a pitbull to put together, someone else will have a chicken to build and oh my I am way behind on things! READY TO BUILD!! ??

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Oct 06 2011, 08:17 PM

Wow! That thing is HUGE! I still want to get some sewing done sometime this fall. Since I'll miss the retreat . . . . sewing in November? I'll probably be in town over T-Day weekend (hopefully with a lighter workload than I have right now).

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Oct 06 2011, 11:43 PM

Do others have Black Friday off? That might be a good day to lock in for a project.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Oct 07 2011, 12:47 PM

MEGAMON
Yes, yes, yes!

But 26 feet tall is a bit much for safety reasons. How about half that? That'd probably be safe enough to leave on its own with the kids kicking it around.
180GO! has some funds and would buy the material for the sake of the club.

We can have another class for flees/roks/whatever. But I'd love to build this puppy.
Can we have a couple panels flat with eyes? Make it a hedgehog sort of thing?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Oct 07 2011, 01:03 PM

Hedgehogs are cool. :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Oct 07 2011, 01:57 PM

But . . . it's Black Friday . . . I won't be out there at 3 am.

However, crazy as it sounds, I have been known to go pick up some stuff later in the morning. Got a netbook one year, various hand tools are usually on sale, and there's always something good as long as you are not trying for the "doorbusters."

That thing would be cool as a hedghog. And it does seem like something that a lot of people could contribute to that would be a big impact for IKE at festivals. Maybe with a nametag "Hi, My name is (sp)IKE!"

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 10:37 AM

Shopping is the last thing I'd want to be doing on a day off!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 11:00 AM

Jeff wrote:Shopping is the last thing I'd want to be doing on a day off!

Wrong word Jeff ... Black Friday isn't about "Shopping" it's about "Buying". The shopping has already been completed via the multitude of ads in the paper ... now it's all about maximizing the family's resources via branching out and "Buying."

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 11:47 AM

Hey Tom, thanks for chiming in - you're right. If I go out on that Friday, it is with very specific buying in mind. There is no wandering around amid the throngs. It's go in, score the deal, get out. And I don't usually go out until mid morning, and I don't hang around. Maximizing resources saves money for kites! I wonder if Revolution has a Black Friday sale . . . .

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 02:38 PM

Bah...you've both got the sickness. :-P

I've never seen a deal good enough on something that I've wanted to make me suffer a store or mall on that day.

I don't like shopping on normal days.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 04:05 PM

Jeff wrote:Bah...you've both got the sickness. :-P

I've never seen a deal good enough on something that I've wanted to make me suffer a store or mall on that day.

Well, I don't like shopping in stores on normal days either. But as Tom says, I like getting good deals (maximizing resources). I've gotten some really good deals on Black Friday, especially for electronics and tools (which are really the only things I ever buy, except for kites). I just don't try to go for the doorbusters.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Oct 08 2011, 08:13 PM

Jeff wrote:Bah...you've both got the sickness. :-P

Even This WOMAN agrees!!!!!!!!! :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Elix

Postby Elix » Mon, Oct 10 2011, 03:41 PM

It's all about the online deals now! Nuts to standing in line at a store. Roll out of bed in PJs at 6am, click buy and go back to bed. ;)
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Nov 12 2011, 09:05 PM

Well . . . . it's now less than two weeks to Black Friday. Back on topic. Megamon? Rok? Anybody interested in getting together?

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 15 2011, 08:43 AM

I can't do black friday, December will work better for me.

Return to “Sewing”