STEALTH PRE-CUT PROJECT On Kitebuilder

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

STEALTH PRE-CUT PROJECT On Kitebuilder

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Aug 05 2010, 01:01 PM

It's been about a year-and-a-half since Barry Olgetree sponsored the pre-cut Pit Bull Dog project off of Kitebuilder. Since then he has designed and obtained a copyright on a light wind lifter kite that he calls the Stealth. His prototype build was of a 500 sq foot kite. The pictures were interesting with one of his helpers inside the kite checking it out ... no it wasn't tight in the bay he was inside.

Barry has decided to offer a pre-cut build on a smaller version of the Stealth this fall. He's lining up participants and is planning on cutting out the kites in three waves ... one wave each month starting in September. The kite is to be approximately 190 sq ft. The chosen size was the result of splitting 60" wide fabric into two 30" pieces and covering two bays with that piece. Building a large lifter kite while keeping the cost down by minimizing scrap was the goal.

If you're interested, check out this thread. Build threads like this are fun to keep up with even if you're not working on that specific kite. I learned tons of information from reading the last two builds that Barry sponsored.

Don't be turned off by the list of "rules/agreements" that Barry posted at the beginning of the thread. His avowed purpose in doing these builds is to get lots of large kites in the air all around the world. The amount he charges doesn't totally cover the cost of materials ... plus, he absorbs the cost of cutting out the kites, building the bridle and packaging the kits for shipment. The use of "sponsor" is very appropriate.

James P. and I have both opted to participate in building one. Yea, I'm probably a little crazy, but what the heck!

Cheers,
Tom

Mux11

Re: STEALTH PRE-CUT PROJECT On Kitebuilder

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Aug 11 2010, 05:24 PM

Yeah MAN!! This is going to be a good one to build too. Can't wait to start working on this one.
Now to clear the table of a couple projects Ive started and not finished now that I got sortof set up in the basement.

If nothing else it is pretty interesting to see how everyone approaches different parts of the project. Perhaps -- it could turn into an IKE build ? How many Stealths could be put together in one room>???? lol

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Wed, Aug 18 2010, 01:17 PM

how big is the room?? LOL

That is a real cool kite... I think I will start with the mini mock this winter..

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:05 AM

Well the instructions are posted Here and it looks like quite a project!
The first 24 have hit the postal system meaning these will be showing up soon. Time to clear out the build room and get ready for this monster.
190 sq feet will be quite a feat as Im still working on the jordan 200 and I have to use the hall way for laying the pieces out.

So Excited I cant wait to get this one put together and airborne and I have decided not to change anything so it will be a straight assembly.

I know Tom jumped in to this, anyone else?
I got thinking that if there were a few of us it might make for a good time to build them together......

BillLamm

Postby BillLamm » Tue, Oct 05 2010, 08:57 PM

wow you have one of those coming and you want to organize a group build?!?! some one has a building bug :D

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Wed, Oct 06 2010, 08:25 PM

"Building Bug" My wife calls it a sickness :shock:

At least she knows Ill be occupied for a while.

Guess what the boys in brown dropped off for me today?

Image Image Image

Cant wait to jump in!!! Too bad Ill be out of town the next couple days.... but Ill be refreshed for the weekend :twisted: Still want to clear off a Jordan 200 before I start a new project
:evil: Time to put the machine into HI gear :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 07 2010, 10:40 AM

with all these lifters you're gonna have to start making some line art/laundry too...

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Nov 28 2010, 06:43 PM

Mike wrote:with all these lifters you're gonna have to start making some line art/laundry too...

Yep, that's a fact. Haven't found too much info on building line laundry though. Seems most folks want to sell the finished product.

The Stealth was finished on Friday and took it's first flight on Saturday. Was surprised at how easy it was for one person to launch ... that kite really wants to fly. The winds were in the 5 to 10 mph range most of the time. Here's a picture of that first flight along side the 20 sq ft mini-mock kite I built at the end of summer ... the line lengths are the same. They played around next to each other for about two hours with only a couple of incidents.

The biggest problem with building this kite was the material management. Sew for a couple of feet, jump up and pull the stack of nylon forward, sew for a couple of feet, jump up pull the stack of nylon forward ... repeat as necessary. Tack welding the lower skin panels together worked well. The mass of nylon grew too much for the tack welds to keep the top side panels together, so I had to learn to hold three panels together while sewing the top side. Oh yes, one bobbin would only last for about 2 1/2 longitudinal seams ... went through quite a few reloads.

Okay James, now it's your turn.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Nov 28 2010, 09:25 PM

Looks awesome!!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 30 2010, 08:32 PM

It'll be a great addition to club flies and festivals.
If there's no laundry, how about really long tails?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Nov 30 2010, 10:41 PM

Mike wrote:It'll be a great addition to club flies and festivals.
If there's no laundry, how about really long tails?

The kite was designed to be able to fly without tails. Having said that, one of the builders has been flying his with 2 ft X 20 ft tapered flat "flags" behind each side. That looks like the most likely option ... maybe longer than 20 ft.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Dec 01 2010, 02:18 PM

The tails sound good. Oooh, how about 150 feet? In Red?
http://www.gombergkites.com/e-stream.html

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Dec 01 2010, 05:47 PM

Mike wrote:The tails sound good. Oooh, how about 150 feet? In Red?
http://www.gombergkites.com/e-stream.html

Yea, talk the newbie into building/buying something outrageous. Don't want to become an air hog. Just finished talking with the designer, he suggested 2 by 30 feet as the correct size. Have to see what Wally World has in their one-off shear fabrics. Red would be good.

Hmm, just did some calcs ... 2 ft by 30 ft takes 12 yards of 60 inch wide material.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Wed, Dec 01 2010, 05:50 PM, edited 2 times in total.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Thu, Dec 02 2010, 12:49 PM

Look great Tom, looking forword to seeing it in the sky the next time we get together.

Big Mike

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Jan 06 2011, 01:47 PM

I came up with enough scraps to make pennant tails for the stealth. Two feet wide and 30 feet long. The center panels are black/red/orange/yellow and they are repeated twice with a four inch border of black. I tried them out a couple of days ago, but was disappointed in how they flew. They tend to twist more than I would like ... destroys the stained glass look that I was striving for. The tails were built with a rod pocket in the leading edge, so that will get tried out on the next trip to the field. And, I'll add some clip on drag to the tips to see if that will alleviate some of the twisting.

One thing that I found interesting is how big tails looked on the sewing table ... and how small they look behind the stealth.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jan 06 2011, 02:37 PM

They look nice, though I see what you mean about the twisting.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jan 06 2011, 09:26 PM

Still looks cool! Can't wait to see that giant at a club fly.

akillip

Postby akillip » Sun, Jan 09 2011, 08:02 AM

Tom, Flat tails made of ripstop are going to twist. Made that mistake years ago, never sovled the problem. A tapered tail not so much as a straight banner style. Look to Barb Myers, Mike Shaw and Deb Lenzen. They will put Carbon rod stiffeners every couple of feet to keep the twist out. And then the tails usually are no more than a couple of feet wide maybe. If you want a tail that hangs right. Cloth.

Tony

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Jan 09 2011, 10:20 AM

akillip wrote:Tom, Flat tails made of ripstop are going to twist. Made that mistake years ago, never sovled the problem. A tapered tail not so much as a straight banner style. Look to Barb Myers, Mike Shaw and Deb Lenzen. They will put Carbon rod stiffeners every couple of feet to keep the twist out. And then the tails usually are no more than a couple of feet wide maybe. If you want a tail that hangs right. Cloth.

Tony

Darn ... and it was such a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jan 11 2011, 09:36 PM

Speaking of the guy behind your big kite - Barry Ogletree / Whatakite - here's a story I happened across on the web:

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=13815694

Return to “Sewing”