L'il Lee Stack

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jeepster

L'il Lee Stack

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Dec 17 2009, 03:33 PM

Having built a short stack of four foot Rev-like kites, I wasn't that happy with how they flew. Then I built the Half-Pint progressive and fell in love with how it flies. Hmmm. So, I pulled the five foot kite out of the progressive and flew it for awhile ... it's quick, but much more controllable. So, I went back to the computer and found out that I could just - and I do mean just - make a six-stack of five foot kites out of the poly that I had purchased. Then Sky Shark came up with a new batch of P090 blemished rods (it takes one extra rod for a five foot kite - always buy more material than you think you need!!!) , so the project was a go.

I've always loved the hot fade kites. And, I especially love watching Lee Sedgwick fly his eight stack of Rev 1's. So it was a natural decision to make a six kite stack in the image (loosely) of Lee's stack.

The sail fabric is taped together with the 3M tape ... it's great stuff. The leading edges are screened ... I want to be able to back up the stack. Because it's a stack and needs the leading edge end caps very tight, I opted for 3.9 Dacron for the LE tunnel. It's framed in P090 rods with stronger ones in the lead kite.

I finished the stack a couple of days ago, but today was the first day it was decent to fly. No pictures of it flying ... my photographer is working today and I wasn't successful flying with one hand and taking pictures with the other.

The stack handles well! It'll back across the wind window. It's harder to accomplish, but looks like with some practice it'll back up the wind window. I was able to do several side stands (tip) without having to do the walk of shame. Got too far towards the side of the wind window once while flying and really messed up ... only two kites came out in the correct position. Looks like it'll be a fun addition to the kite bag.

BTW ... be sure you love making kites before tackling a six kite stack of Rev-like kites. Even if they are small, each one still takes almost as much work as a full size Rev-like kite. Would that be a Rev-lica?

Enjoy,
Tom

Fully pre-flighted and ready to go ...

These were reasonably easy to do ...

Jeepster

Re: L'il Lee Stack

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Dec 17 2009, 03:42 PM

Forgot to thank Kent (A Wind of Change) for his help on how to stack Rev kites. He shared a lot of wisdom with me when I was building the Half-Pint and the progressive stacks. This stack took over 160 feet of bridle line!!! With what Kent taught me, I never even paused, just started cutting and knotting.

Thanks Kent ... all your help is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Dec 17 2009, 07:58 PM

They're beautiful!
Nicely done.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Dec 18 2009, 12:04 AM

Nice job Tom. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Sat, Dec 19 2009, 02:19 PM

Awesome looking kites. :up:

Tom must be one of the most prolific quad sewers in IKE. He and James may have to fight it out for the speed title though.

Apparently Tom suffers from a unique strain of the virulent dark side: Stackitis. Lee Sedgewick seems to be the poster child for this strain and has built up considerably antibodies resulting in larger and larger stack. We can only hope Tom's case is milder.

Can't wait to see them in the air in person!
John
:LogoRevAni:

cadguy

Postby cadguy » Sun, Dec 20 2009, 07:15 PM

Very nice work!
So, are you going to get more material to make 2 more so that it's an 8-stack?
Are you using original Rev endcaps for your minis?
Now, you just need to make an indoor stack - hmmm

David

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Dec 20 2009, 08:30 PM

cadguy wrote:Very nice work!
So, are you going to get more material to make 2 more so that it's an 8-stack?
Are you using original Rev endcaps for your minis?
Now, you just need to make an indoor stack - hmmm

David

Nope!! It'll be a 6-kite stack for a long time. Had to cut out 48 reinforcement pieces, 48 fabric panels and six pieces of venting ... then sew it all together ... cut 24 rods ... tie up 30 stack lines ... by the end, I was wondering why I ever started!

I'm using Rev end caps for the progressive and linear stacks. I've gone to protruded rods on the four-foot singles like you saw in Grand Haven ... and using homemade end caps. Found some 1/4 inch nylon rod and am using that to make the smaller end caps.

Down sized indoor stack ... hmmm! I better hurry up and learn to fly a single indoor kite first. Five days and then I can fly it!!!

@John ... there's no fighting it out with James for the speed title ... it's his sure and true. I haven't had my wife's sewing machine out of second gear yet.

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Sewing”