New (old) machine

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Chris

New (old) machine

Postby Chris » Fri, Nov 10 2006, 07:36 PM

Hey folks, I just picked up a new :roll: sewing machine today!!!! My bosses mother passed away last year, (I hate to sound so macabre, she was a great lady) and she had this machine set up in a closet. Not collecting dust, but actually set up in a closet! She would open the doors and sew right there. I just couldn't help it, I had to have it :-D . I haven't used it yet, I know it works though. I am now cleaning up and reorganizing my sewing room. I'll let you know how things go.

P.S. - Mike, I think it is older than yours :P

It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Re: New (old) machine

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 12:19 AM

Nice looking set-up Chris. 8) But what I want to know is how you are going to get the machine around at MAKR, put a set of wheels on the one end and cart it around. :rotfl Them old ones in the desk like that are a gem.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 08:07 AM

Yeah, its a little bib for MAKR :shock: But it sews GREAT! Man, the difference between my other machine and this one is huge. Very quiet and smoooooth. The stitches are a little smaller than the other machine, even on the longest setting, but are a lot tighter. The coolest thing is that for the decorative stitches, you drop a cam in the top, and start sewing :cool1: Got a bunch of feet and attachments also, may have to try some of them out.

I'm going to make a kite bag with it first, to get used to it, and then back ti the spike ball!

P.S.- the original sales receipt was still with it; it was purchased August 13th, 1964, for $332.75(included a chair). And we think todays machines are expensive!?
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 09:38 AM

very cool machine. And the drawings of the operator in the instructions in the second photo look just like you!

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 10:29 AM

You funny guy :shock: My hair is brown, not blonde...duh :P

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 11:04 AM

To play fair, here's the cover of my manual:
In those days, I don't think Sears, in their wildest imagination, ever thought a couple of macho guys like ourselves would be using their product.

On your machine, what's that pin on the lower right for? And the other things down there look like it's to guide the thread? from the bottom?

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 06:35 PM

It's the bobbin winder, quite a bit different from most machines I've seen.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 06:42 PM

no kidding. Thanks for the photo.

Return to “Sewing”