IKE Logo Kite. Don't make it this way...

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Mike

IKE Logo Kite. Don't make it this way...

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 10 2006, 04:29 PM

I wanted to make a kite with our logo, and since the logo is square, I wanted a square kite.

I could have done a della porta but I didn't want the X of the spars to be seen behind the white kites. Plus the reinforcements for the center bridle would in the middle of the word "ike"

Another way della porta's are done is with a curved spar on the top and bottom, these are sometimes called billboard kites. Same problem with the visibility of the spars, but it's two point bridle would be less of a problem.

So I decided to make up my own design. Roks fly really steady so I decided to modify a Rok. I took off the top and bottom triangles and squared up the center piece which in normally in the ratio of 3:4.
I still wanted to bow the kite to give it the Rok stability. This turned out to be interesting.
First here's the kite:

Turns out if you just bow the spar, it will flop down against the sail. I knew this from another kite I had made. (Super Mario--I'll have to see if I have a photo)
So I had to build some tension lines which you can see in the photo.
There is a vertical line along the spar as well as lines attached to the corners. The corner line is one piece and tensioned with a button. The center line is fixed on the top of the kite and the second tension line on the bottom of the kite is a bungee. The bungee helps to keep it tensioned and also allows the kite to bounce instead of tear when it does a nose dive. Like on a Rev.

I bridled it like I do my Roks of the same size (this kite is 4'x4', most of my Roks are 4' wide and 5' tall)
So how did it fly?
At first, not at all. Turns out the bridle adjustment was really sensitive. So I cut the line out on the field and made a longer bridle so it would be less sensitive to adjustments.
Now I could get it to fly and it would do ok, but it pulls like a truck. In the gusty winds today it had a bit of a hard time.
You can see how much it bows in the wind:

I also took off the bow lines and attached tails. Even without bowing the kite flew ok and still billowed at the edges. That's important for this type of kite as that is what gives it stablity.

So is it a success?
No. It didn't stay up in the sky all on its own for long enough. It was gusty and strong winds I know, but when it comes down, it comes down pointy end first and I fear for the specator's lives.
Also, it pulls too hard. It started to pull out the stake.
I'm not sure what I can do with the sail now since it has reinforcement patches and holes for the bridle. I can't cut it shorter 'cause it needs to stay square. But hopefully it will be incorporated into some new kite.

A note on the spars. The kite was framed with a 60" .2540 pultruded carbon vertical and .1960" 48" horizontal spars. The didn't break in the up to 20 mph winds and the nose dives. Good spars.

hmmm. looking now at the photos I wonder if the kite would fly better if I made a sleeve for the entire length of the horizontal spar. I can see the top of the sail blowing below the spar in places.

Chris

Re: IKE Logo Kite. Don't make it this way...

Postby Chris » Fri, Nov 10 2006, 07:28 PM

First of all, bad ass kite Mike!!!! :up: Is the logo all applique? What about converting it to a delta? Use a light color (white,or lt blue), and just add triangles to either side. I dunno, sounds easy enough?
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 12:11 AM

Great looking kite Mike.

The thought I had is to maybe frame it out in White and make it back into a Rok. With the white it would frame out the logo nicely in either the blue skies or against the grey skies. Or better yet if you want just the logo to stand alone, how about using clear mylar instead of a color?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 05:21 AM

Chris wrote:First of all, bad ass kite Mike!!!! :up: Is the logo all applique? What about converting it to a delta? Use a light color (white,or lt blue), and just add triangles to either side. I dunno, sounds easy enough?

Please share with us how you made up the sail with our logo on it... This could open up a lot of possibilities for anyone interested in a custom logo on their kite..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 10:11 AM

The rok idea would be the easiest since it already has the bridle attachments in the right place. It would be slightly different dimensions from a standard rok. The triangle would be relatively smaller. But I may got that way. I have little clear mylar I could use too.

I though about a delta too. They pull a lot less than a rok. But then you have that keel going right down the middle. I could do the keel in mylar though.
And it would have the holes from the original sail.

I may play with a different bridling style and see if I can release some of the pressure on the sail so it wont pull so hard.

How did I do it?
this may get long....

I put the logo on a transparency and put it on my $10 overhead projector that I picked up at a county govt sale.
I did each square of the logo separately. Each one is 2'x2' because that matched my spars and my cutting mat. :-)
I cut out a 2' x 2' square of red stuck it on the wall with static electricity (ripstop is great for that) and a piece of tape for insurance.
Displayed the logo on it so that it matched the one square pretty close so that the logo components would be about the right size.

Grabbed a scrap of white material that was big enough and stuck it on the wall. Traced the Rev on it with a pencil.
Hot cut the white rev on a piece of glass using a ruler and freehand.
Went back to the wall and used a bit of elmer's washable glue stick to stick the rev to the red square in the right position.

Did the same for the other squares.

Sewed the kite to the square using a tighter and smaller zig-zag than I would use for a seam. About 1/8" wide and close together.
On the black kites, I was done.
On the white kites, I cut out the black material from the back, sliding little scissors along the seam. Otherwise you wouldn't see the white it in the sky.
I always have trouble deciding with appliqué how it looks on the ground vs in the sky. When you cut out from the back, you leave an 1/8" darker border around the kite. This kite wasn't bad, but on the snowman kite, I didn't know how to handle the nose and did it kind of half & half,but that's a discussion for another time....

Oh, on the applique for the standard kite and it's tail. I didn't like my freehand tail that I drew, so before I sewed it on I re-did it like so:
The tail was small enough to fit on a standard sheet of printer paper so I went back to the computer and drew it on there. I enlarged it a bit from the standard logo so it would be more visible in the sky and then printed it out an a piece of card. I cut the card with a razer to make a template and then used that to hot cut a new tail.

I then sewed the four squares together using flat-fell seams (sew a staight stitch, fold over to one side, zig-zag it down.) I considered not using a flat fell because it makes a dark line along one side of one square, but not all. But I thought it would be OK if I folded it over to the black squares.

Then I made the IKE part. I printed out the letters in actual size on separate sheets of paper, but allowing a bit of the next letter to be on the paper to help in getting the spacing right. Shined a light up thru a piece of glass hanging off the edge of my table. Put the paper on the glass and the black fabric over the paper. I could just see the letters thru the fabric. Since it's all straight lines, I hot cut with a ruler. I cut right over the paper (which is on the glass).
Then I put the paper with the letters under a piece of white fabric and glue-sticked the black, hot-cut letters on the white fabric. I haven't used glue stick much before, I used to hot-tack. You can see some of the glue in the back of the kite but it's easier than hot-tacking.
Then I appliqued the letters onto the white rectangle.

Then I appliqued the white rectangle to the center of the kite, and cut out the back of the kite. Which is kind of a shame because the 4 corners of the squares matched up perfectly. Seemed a shame to cut away such fine sewing :-)

And that's the logo!

If I had a big printer, I would have printed out the logo squares and cut out stencils to have permanently. Maybe Ken has access to a wide format printer?

With a big stencil you could probably spray paint the logo too, but I don't know how that would look in the sky.

I'm far from an expert in this, but any questions?

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 10:33 AM

All I can saw is...WOW :shock:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 11:46 AM

I think we need some IKE Logo'd Vented Revs....

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 11 2006, 11:56 AM

If you're feeling brave, I guess you could applique the logo on your existing vented rev. Maybe replace the area where it says revolution. It's kinda hard to work around the vents.
It might look good on our red and black venteds.

Return to “Sewing”