Page 1 of 1

Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Mon, Dec 15 2008, 08:35 PM
by Jeepster
Do you have a golf ball stake? Find it to be a wee bit too big and heavy unless you wear a holster? Mike Kory showed me the small stakes that he makes out of wooden balls and cut off fiberglass road marker poles. They fit easily in your pants pocket and work great.

I can't leave anything alone so I started experimenting. First I don't like the splinters you can get from fiberglass rods, so I made my first mini-stake out of a small wooden beer barrel (had to be different) and an aluminum knitting needle. The knitting needles work great ... they come in all kinds of colors and sizes.

Then I fell in love with the miniature billiard ball that Paul gave me. I decided to upgrade to a heavier shaft than a knitting needle. The perfect answer was an aluminum nano stake sold by REI. When I found out that backdraft had several sets of miniature billiard balls I talked him out of one set. Since he wouldn't let me pay for them, I finished the number "one" ball with a nano stake and gave it to him last Saturday. His first comment was that the stake was an arrow shaft.

That night I dug into my pile of old arrow shafts and sure enough he's right. The nano stake is made out of about six inches of Easton 7075 arrow shaft in size 2018. Thus, a visit to your local archery shop will give you a neat alternative to the stainless steel shaft. Ask for a bent, broken or damaged 2018 or stronger shaft ... 2117 shafts are very common. The first two numbers of the size is the outside diameter in 64's of an inch and the second two numbers represent the wall thickness in thousands of an inch. Cut off six inches of the nock end, drill a hole in whatever you're going to use as a head, and glue the shaft into the head.

The attached picture shows:
Golf ball stake
My small billiard ball stake with a shaft from an REI nano stake
The REI nano stake as it's purchased
Six inches of a 2020 arrow shaft

Thank Mike S for giving us a light weight, low cost alternative to the stainless steel stake ...

Cheers,
Tom

[albumimg]1337[/albumimg]

Re: Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Wed, Dec 17 2008, 09:05 PM
by Mike
Boy, this forum is as quiet as it's ever been.
Guess the low temperatures have frozen everyone.

I do like the small stakes. They function as well as the longer ones as long as you're not in sand. And they don't fall out of my pocket.
The question is: can you get the arrow shafts in red? :-)
I guess I can put the red wooden balls on, but they would kind of clash with the blue stakes...

Also, some of you may not know that you can usually get by without a stake as long as you land the kite upside down.
It wont work if the grass is slick though.
It does work well in sand. For those who don't know, I'll show you the trick next we fly in sand.

Re: Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Thu, Dec 18 2008, 03:21 PM
by Jeff
Mike wrote:Boy, this forum is as quiet as it's ever been.
Guess the low temperatures have frozen everyone.


Pre-holiday, post-economic catastrophe lull... Happens all the time. :P

I predict a flurry of activity in a couple weeks.

If not, I'll just create it myself.

Re: Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Fri, Dec 19 2008, 11:16 AM
by DB Cooper
I thought it was just me .... I join they leave. Typical. :cry:

Re: Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Fri, Dec 19 2008, 11:17 AM
by DB Cooper
I used one of the new shorter stakes during the fly on Saturday and if you put it in straight up and down and land upright it would pull out, if I angled it slghlty I didn't have any problems, when I landed upside down, even with the wind, there wasn't much pull on the stake at all.

I have asked the bow hunters I know to bring me any broken arrow shafts they have. So i will see what I end up with.

Re: Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Fri, Dec 19 2008, 09:16 PM
by Mike
You should probably get in the habit of landing upside down anyway. Even when it's staked down, the kite might take off on it's own when facing up.

Re: Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Sat, Dec 20 2008, 11:04 AM
by Jeepster
Mike wrote:The question is: can you get the arrow shafts in red? :-)
I guess I can put the red wooden balls on, but they would kind of clash with the blue stakes...


My oldest shafts (~25 years old) are a dark green color. My newer shafts (still about 15 years old) are a shade of orange. Most of the shafts I've picked up while hiking in the woods are a greenish camo pattern. Easton makes an assortment of different colored shafts, but you probably don't want to buy new arrow shafts to make stakes out of ... $4 ~ $6 a piece is about the going rate. Make friends with a bow hunter ... preferably a clumsy one, so s/he has several broken or bent arrows to give away. And, be happy with the camo color ... maybe it'll look like the red ball is floating above the grass ... Rev UFO style.

Maybe backdraft has some ideas about obtaining cheap shafts.

Cheers,
Tom

Re: Smurf Sized Stakes...

Posted: Sat, Dec 20 2008, 01:24 PM
by Jynx
Jeepster wrote:
Mike wrote:The question is: can you get the arrow shafts in red? :-)
I guess I can put the red wooden balls on, but they would kind of clash with the blue stakes...


My oldest shafts (~25 years old) are a dark green color. My newer shafts (still about 15 years old) are a shade of orange. Most of the shafts I've picked up while hiking in the woods are a greenish camo pattern. Easton makes an assortment of different colored shafts, but you probably don't want to buy new arrow shafts to make stakes out of ... $4 ~ $6 a piece is about the going rate. Make friends with a bow hunter ... preferably a clumsy one, so s/he has several broken or bent arrows to give away. And, be happy with the camo color ... maybe it'll look like the red ball is floating above the grass ... Rev UFO style.

Maybe backdraft has some ideas about obtaining cheap shafts.

Cheers,
(Tom


Tom~ :thanks: for the info... I have bow-hunting friends who I will contact, hopefully scoring some throw-aways!
I always say..."Recycle - Reuse!" Ofcourse I say other things too!