Kiteboarding Locations And Regulations

All about dual and quad line power kiting.
Maz

Kiteboarding Locations And Regulations

Postby Maz » Wed, Aug 19 2009, 09:27 AM

Hello everyone.
New to the site, I was referred here from another kiteboarding forum. Neat to see this big community involved in kiting activities.
I have a quick question about park regulations and rules. I see the section on spots for kiteboarding around the Chicago area. Are there any rules as to the season, time of day, specific spots to launch and land? Or can I pretty much go to one of the spots indicated on the map, and go for it? I'm interested in Busse woods in specific.
Also, I'm a fairly new at water kiteboarding, and was wondering if anyone has tried a 9m waroo on land? I'm around 190lb and have close to no experience on land.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Kiteboarding Locations And Regulations

Postby Mike » Wed, Aug 19 2009, 09:35 AM

Hi Maz,
I'm not a power kiter so I can't answer your question, but I wanted to welcome you to the club--Welcome!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:17 AM

Maz wrote:Hello everyone.
New to the site, I was referred here from another kiteboarding forum. Neat to see this big community involved in kiting activities.
I have a quick question about park regulations and rules. I see the section on spots for kiteboarding around the Chicago area. Are there any rules as to the season, time of day, specific spots to launch and land? Or can I pretty much go to one of the spots indicated on the map, and go for it? I'm interested in Busse woods in specific.
Also, I'm a fairly new at water kiteboarding, and was wondering if anyone has tried a 9m waroo on land? I'm around 190lb and have close to no experience on land.

Thanks

I do know that there's a few people that have used their kiteboarding foils at Busse Woods. (Haven't seen anyone actually riding a board though.) In fact, there was one there yesterday with a 7m. (I'm not sure what type exactly)

I've flown at Busse, although I just fly Revs, no traction kites, and there's a lot of room. You shouldn't have any trouble there most of the time.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Aug 19 2009, 03:45 PM

Maz wrote: was wondering if anyone has tried a 9m waroo on land? I'm around 190lb and have close to no experience on land.

Thanks

Welcome...

I fly a 3M Ozone Riot and I have to say that in a 10-12mph wind, that kite is more than I can handle and I'm about the same weight...

Hopefully Kent will weigh in on this one as he's more informed than I, especially in the bigger power kites...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Wed, Aug 19 2009, 05:04 PM

Your best bet would be to get in touch with Dave at Chicago Kite - link is at the top of this page. He would probably be the best person to direct you to different areas and/or any restrictions. He should also be able to get you in contact with other kite surfers / power kiters in the area where you can meet up with them and discuss or learn the sport of power kiting.

Being from Las Vegas, it is about impossible for me to tell you of the areas in Chicago where people kite and what the local restrictions may or may not be. Now if you ever make it out to Vegas then stop on by and we'll go kiting!!! :)

I have flown the Waroo's and they are very nice kites for kite surfing. But personally, I never recommend any LEI type kite for land use. There are far better kits for that such as the Frenzy's, Peter Lynn Twinskins, Montana's and Neo's - not to mention a huge selection of fixed bridled kites that are far less expensive than the larger depowerable ones. If you are going to be doing both land and water then the Neo and Peter Lynn Twinskin designs are awesome. For strictly land I would stick to the open cell designs because they are so much easier to use and (usually) have better power delivery in smaller sizes.

Hope that helps.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Maz

Postby Maz » Wed, Aug 19 2009, 08:54 PM

Wow.. thanks guys for all the info. I've got some homework to do :-) . I was hoping to save some $ by using my water kite for land, i get the sense that I may get over powered. I do have a 2m trainer 2 line kite that I should probably try first.

Really glad I was referred to this site,

:thanks:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Aug 19 2009, 09:12 PM

I started with an Ozone LD 1.5... it was absolutely perfect for learning before I started flying my Revolutions.

Not incredibly powerful, but in a stiff wind, it is easy to handle so your 2M would be an excellent choice for land flying...

Dave is definitely in tune with what's going on in the area for both land and water...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “Power Kites”